Thursday, May 16, 2013

Meet Nigerian Born US based Singer/Songwriter Nenna Yvonne Called African Lady Gaga

Nenna Yvonne

Special Featured

526460_10151588045810281_2134048941_nThe fact that the 24-year old EDM/Pop singer/songwriter Nenna Yvonne is unsigned makes me seriously question the state of A&R at the majors.
Not only has this independent artiste had prominent placements with the likes of DisneyMTV, NBCs The Mentalist,Toyota, Ikea, VH1, Spike TV, Heineken and Monster Music, she has a large and growing social media presence:


This is a great lesson many other independent artistes must learn from. I reserved my personal comment on the issue.
Anyone at the majors taking note? 
Not like you guys could use someone who won the 2011 USA Songwriting Competition,Billboard calls the “African Lady Gaga” and MTV calls a “New Age Glam Pop Diva,” right? Especially someone with a huge bootstrapped fan base? And doesn't need to be Autotuned to sound decent?
Naaah.
Anyway, I think it’s only a matter of time before Nenna blows up Gaga style and I am delighted to introduce her to you.
MIN:  Nenna, it’s a real pleasure to speak to you today.  Tell us about your sound.
NY: My sound?  Soul blended with Pop and Dance, with a lot of influence from other genres.

During my training at LaGuardia (HS Of The Performing Arts, NYC), I was fortunate enough to work with some of the best artists and instructors in the genres of Jazz, Classical, Opera and Chamber music – and all of these genres contribute to my sound.
For example, my music has a lot of energy and passion in the vocals, and that’s an influence that comes from Opera and Jazz as much as it does from Pop and Dance.

                                      Nenna’s single “You and I”



                          Nenna vocalizing – Her Video “In The Past”




MIN:  Where are your biggest markets?
NY: I’m from NYC and born in Nigeria, so I do have a good deal of fans in the US and Africa, but I also have a diehard fan base in Europe, especially in the UK and Scandinavia.  Fans in Europe really seem to connect with my music and persona.
Japan is also a big market for me – I did a tour there that was well received and really connected with Japanese fans and art – so much so that I modeled my video “360” as a Harajuku Dream Land in a Meeku outfit. (Visit her Japanese site for more).

                             Nenna is Big in Japan – her video “360″




I’m just grateful that my music and market has spread so far and wide, and I’m constantly adjusting my catalog and style to respond to my fans.
MIN:  What are you working on right now?
NY: I am finishing up compositions of new tracks for submission to other artists and releasing a new single in May titled ‘Major” – it’s a very summer-friendly and fun anthem-styled song.

                           Nenna Performing Her Song “Major”




I’m hoping to have an EP out by late April and then this Summer I start working on my full-length album.
MIN:  Talk to us about some of your recent sync placements.
NY:  My most prominent placements were on MTV, NBC (The Mentalist), Spike TV and Disney – there have been others and and I have more coming up I’ll announce shortly.
MIN:  What methods do you use to connect with music supervisors?
As an independent artiset, it’s a real challenge for me to connect with music supervisors who may be interested in using my music.  I’ve spent a lot of time and effort to make them more familiar with my work and how it can be used in film, TV or a commercial.
MIN:  What has worked for you? 
NY: If you present a consistent, recognizable sound, and use reputable methods to promote it, music supervisors will be able to understand what programs and placement opportunities work best with your music.
MIN: Give us your view of the music industry as an independent artist.
NY:  I love the creative aspects: writing, making music and connecting with fans.  Expressing myself and sharing my music is the fun part.
What’s stressful and at times even excruciating is that as an indie artist, you’re really on your own – not only do you have to handle the creative aspects of your career, but balance that with marketing, contracts, sync opportunities and budgeting …
It takes a real effort to keep everything in balance and try to keep everyone happy while maintaining focus on the creative aspects of your career. I try to balance it all and keep everyone happy which is never an easy thing.
MIN:  That’s a pretty downbeat assessment – what about the plus side of being an independent artiste?
NE: As a pop artiste, I think that interactive and social media have made really made it possible for emerging indie pop acts like me, Mackelmore, and The Lumineers to get and grow a fan base that would have been impossible until recently.
MIN:  How so?
NY: It used to be that if you wanted to break into pop, there was only one method and one filter – getting a deal with a major.
Now, with all the available interactive and social media outlets like YouTubeFacebook,InstagramTwitter, an artist can build up a significant fan based without ever having the support of a major.
That’s not to say that I don’t see the value of signing with a major, because I do, but it’s not the only way to grow your fan base.
MIN:  How important is social media to growing your audience and marketing your music?
NY: Essential to everything I do.  I make sure I’m in contact with my fans constantly through links to my new music, video, photos and updates of what I am doing.
This means that I communicate with my fans so that they know my feelings, my music, my style, my look, my image and my thoughts about music and the music industry.  I explain to my fans how I’m feeling and why I’m feeling it when it comes to my music and my projects – and when they have something to say, I listen and respond.
It takes a lot of time and effort, but it’s worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment